Sunday, June 27, 2021

another weekend at the lake

It was cloudy and warm. They had fun, came home Sunday night covered in bug bites, not sure what bit them, probably due to the geese up and down the shore.

Here's John pitching, his oldest kid catching, another cousin at bat--tennis balls and a plastic bat. When that catcher had his turn at bat, he swung it too hard and it bent and hit him right in the face!

He was fine, but Good LOR-ed!  

Doing nails:
Warming up after swimming:
Everyone was gone by noon, John's family to baseball in the cities, and Heidi's sick of the drab weather.  Jay mowed and I cleaned.

Then we took the dog on a boat ride. The clouds cleared and it was warm, the lake smooth.

This is a cabin not far from ours where we rented many years.   My parents and her sisters, and brother and parents, and we also, would rent cabins together at a resort for Memorial Day weekend.  My sister would too, and my brother sometimes, other cousins.  Or people would team up and stay together.

Weather on Memorial Day is super unpredictable, but we persevered and had so much fun.

This is the cabin my mother's parents used to rent.  It had a sunken bedroom and a dramatic, dark red lamp with a lady's face on it, or the carpet was red, maybe not the lamp?  I don't know what it's like in there anymore, thirty years later.   My grandpa passed away in 2008, Grandma in 2012, though it feels like I just talked to them yesterday.

I know it's a thing people always say, but how do the years cruise by this fast?

This is the cabin my parents rented, right near the woods and the swamp. At Memorial Day the swamp is incredibly loud, full of peepers and frogs and toads.  My dad loved the racket, recorded it as restful music.
Anyway, it was a lovely boat ride.  

 
And then we came home, and storms are passing through, wild clouds, road construction, roads closed, crazy drivers, and the whole room here is glowing and golden as the sun sets.

Onward to Monday.

Love, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment