Saturday, July 22, 2023

cannibals

Canna lilies appeared in the planter Maria gave me for Mother's Day.

My mom grew them in the flower bed outside the kitchen windows when I was a kid. By late summer the red flowers would be high enough to see high in the windows.  The bulbs aren't super difficult, but they do have to be dug up in the fall and put in paper bags in a dry place over the winter.

In the spring you break them apart and plant again.

One day late in the spring I was with the neighbor girl who lived behind us, and from her dining room windows we could see my mom crawling around with a trowel, working.  

She asked me what my mom was doing and I said, "Planting canna bulbs."

She jumped back startled, "I thought those were PEOPLE!"

No. Cannibals are people. Canna bulbs are not.

Anyway, this was a very sweet surprise.  Thank you, Maria.

Love, MOM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment