Thursday, October 27, 2011

the last little girl

Oh, you know her. It's Julia Katrin.

This afternoon I found this Christmas dress at the store, and we've been going through closets and drawers, getting rid of outgrown clothes, and I'm pretty sure there must be a Christmas dress that fits her already in the closet.  I think it's a black velvet dress Kirsten once wore--completely plain because though she was too old for ruffles, she was too tiny to fit in the older size dresses.

But this dress tonight, with the tulle and the little matching dress for a doll--stopped me right there.  I was practical for a minute--we don't need it.  But then I hung it sideways and went back to look again, and you know what?

There may not be any more fancy Christmas dresses after this year. She's long-legged, with long fingers and toes like Little Jay,  growing fast, and shortly frilly dresses will look foolish, and this might really be the last one.

Yes, indeed. I'm not living with regrets. 

(And we'll find her some tights--not those striped socks on Christmas. And we'll brush her hair.)

All these babies, and something I've loved most is, well, besides sleeping together, is bathing and dressing them.  I'm a terrible sucker for pretty baby clothes, striped socks, velour, moccasins, pretty sweaters.

The boy clothes I have mostly given to Dannell and Alicia--all those pretty Swedish Christmas sweaters my little boys wore, the squirrel sweater Jay's aunt knitted for Dan, and I stuffed numerous fluffy dresses in boxes for Heidi this week, whether p.j. looks good in satin and tulle, we'll find out.

This trio of little kids still in my house make me so darn happy.  That moment in the grocery store on Monday when their laughter rang out behind me, laughing at that goofy birthday card?  I looked at the three of them, Kari, Tim, and Julia, and thought, "Lucky duck me." 

Oh, sweet, rowdy, irreverent Julia,  I could keep you seven forever, just for the sheer fun of it.  Enjoy your beautiful dress for me, and for all your sisters who also twirled in fancy dresses when they were little.    Love you all so much, Mom

2 comments:

  1. Oh Val! *~* Look at beautiful Julia, "the last little girl!" Oh.... I have to go look at my pictures of Riley at seven twirling in her Christmas dress. And maybe weep a bit. Oh.

    I love being a mother. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, find a picture and I want to see it too.

    We're lucky, you know? love, Val

    ReplyDelete