Monday, October 17, 2011

weird people


I know some.

Okay this kid was at church yesterday sitting beside me in the pew, and I noticed the price tag was still dangling from his shoe. I dug in my purse for a little scissor to cut that plastic loop. I whispered to Jay, "You know, this is not even the first time he's worn those shoes."

snickering

I whispered, "What are we going to do with him?"

"Nothing. He's the way he's going to be."

I think this is true.

Lydia was also with us, taking sermon notes, as she's in Confirmation.

Confirmation is a Lutheran thing. Other religions have it too, but for us it means a few years of class after a kid has outgrown Sunday School, and then there's a ceremony and they're voting members of the church.

Anyway, so after this lovely sermon where the pastor thoughtfully explained all the back story--the historical context of the story, the political situation in the Roman Empire at the time, Lydia turned to me with her paper, eyes wide.

She said, "I don't know what to put!" The sermon note worksheet said to write two things you learned today.

I whispered, "Well, just write anything you learned."

She leaned toward me, eyes wide, "That's the whole problem, I wasn't paying attention."

Oh. My. Gosh.

Seriously?

I told her two suggestion: The crowd was amazed, and when life is confusing, God is still with us.

"Oh, good!"

Unbelievable.

Whee, heading into Monday. You kids are strange, and I love you, and that's the truth. love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment