Sunday, March 10, 2013

years and years of james

Here he is little and tiny.

This is an old James story:  He was born weighing ten pounds--nice sized baby.   But then it took him six full weeks to gain back his birth weight.

I was freaking out.   Already at a week old I took him to our chiropractor and told him how he'd nurse, but then throw himself backward, howling in pain.

Leonard is a reassuring, kind person. He looked at James who was wearing a blue and green striped sweater, sound asleep in my arms and said, "Val, he looks beautiful."

I was exactly one week postpartum and living on a very fragile edge. Struggling for composure I said, "In the night when he cries, he looks skinny."

Leonard tucked his lips in and wisely said nothing, just got to work adjusting James.  After the second adjustment, James nursed without pain, and then slept for four hours.   Things took a better turn.

A few months later when a stranger complimented his fatness, my sister was worried I was offended.

Hell, no!

But here is now, having survived quite nicely:

This was only three years ago.  James, you've been growing like crazy again.

 There are those gopher cheeks the girls and I couldn't stop kissing.

Here he is up in the room with his friends.  That one in the front--they had a sleepover this winter, and I gave permission saying, "I just don't want you guys to get into any trouble."

He found that hilarious.  Trouble? Them?

Interesting idea.

Never going to happen.

"Mom. Have you met us?"

Okay, true.


 I love this one of you and Sam.

 Oh, and some pictures Kirsten took at a basketball game.



 Not a huge fan of water, but being a good sport:

Awwww, oh Jimmy.

And just a couple days ago I was mentioning to you your shaving.

Thank you for everything--for being our kid, for being your own funny, understated self.  Thank you for your patience and good nature, for working hard and being a good sport, for everything except the situation with the towels in that downstairs bathroom.

Sixteen years of loving James?

Lucky us.

Happy Birthday, Buddy.   love Mom and Dad and everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment