Friday, May 9, 2014

a lady we love

It was my mother in law's birthday yesterday and there was a party at Jay's brother's house.

We had a great time.

A weird thing happened though--Barb, my sister in law, went to the freezer to get the ice cream and found out it was unplugged and everything was soggy and warm.

!!!

That's not right.

Heidi and Kirsten said it was the angriest they've ever seen Barb, but she said something like, "I'm very annoyed and I need to leave the house now," and went to buy new ice cream.

They wondered at the way I'd have hollered and fumed.

With a house full of company, I don't know if I would have or not. Probably not.    But there would have been some shouting at some point. 

Who, in their right mind, unplugs a deep freeze full of edible goods?

Barb was especially irritated that $40 of fundraiser cooky dough the grandparents had bought was ruined.

That IS annoying.

Earlier in the day p.j. and Julia and I went shopping for birthday gifts and found some pretty summer tops.  Why is it we put summer tops away in the fall and they look fine, but in the spring when we take them out again they look faded and disappointing?

My own mom has noticed this too.

Anyway, we had fun shopping together in the rain, though p.j. is in her Renegade Shopper days and doesn't listen for ...well, let's say she could listen better.

But whatever.  People gotta be three when they are.

Last night it was fun to be together, and to celebrate MOM.

She's so understated and patient, so funny and honest and uncritical, and independent and reserved and warm at the same time, a combination of personality that's nothing but fun.

I'm glad it's now and we're here together in it.

Thank you always, and love too, Val and Jay and Everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment