Sunday, May 4, 2014

may is here

It was a great weekend.   The photo above is from tonight back at home while we were planting flowers.

Here are some pictures from the lake:


 


 We cleaned up the whole messy pile leftover from moving the wood pile and grass seed was put down.

 Here she is nipping invasive vines:


 This is our hauler on his way back from disposing of a load of leaves and debris in the woods.

Okay, this is interesting. There's Sam asleep near the fire.  The swamp beyond was seriously loud with what we call Peepers  I think they're little noisy toads?   But we don't know. They could be frogs.

Loud is all we know.

Well, an eagle came over the swamp, rolling in a lazy arc.

 
 That whole swamp became silent.

Silent!

Who knew?  Peepers know when an eagle is circling?  Who told them?
 
Do eagles even eat small amphibians?
 
This weekend my grandma was around me, the bakey scent when we flipped on the baseboard heat Friday night, and  the way the curtains fluttered in the cold room as the heat started rising.

I leaned against the glass looking out over the same lake she vacationed at, and listened to the kids in the next room.

And today at noon while the kids were setting the table for dinner and I was slicing the roast beef, she was right there at my shoulder.

It doesn't happen very often, but I like it.  Figment of my imagination maybe, but it feels like a hug.

Okay, he accepts hugs:

 Spinning in the chair, always a favorite of b.g. who was not even there.



When we came home, I ran to the nursery and bought red geraniums and  white and purple petunias, asparagus ferns and spike.   The lady ringing things up complimented me on the colors and shapes.

I told her, "Same thing every year. Eliminates decision making, increases efficiency.  Same reason I wear so much black clothing."

She laughed and told me I need to mix it up a little.



 
A couple weeks ago he rented a wood chipper and chipped as much wood as a woodchuck could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Here's the tiny little cottony sweetheart looking out over the yard.

Yeah, here's the big giant hole she dug.

Sidney, KNOCK IT OFF.
 These pictures were found on my camera at the end of the evening. Obviously others came into control of the device.
 



Okay, with that lovely photo of the back of my head, we will say good night, and also HELLO MAY.

So glad you're here.

love always, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment