Saturday, December 9, 2017

one year of elin

 A year ago the dog breeder called to tell us she had a couple left over puppies.  We were waiting for a litter due in February, but just in case, maybe we were interested in a puppy now?

She sent a photo and we were so delighted to go get this extra puppy.  She was mostly black and people preferred more definite Landseer markings.  She also was a female, less in demand than the males, and she had an umbilical hernia--not a problem really, and easily repaired when she's spayed, which we have yet to do.

Yah, fine, we TOTALLY want the extra puppy!
 So this is a picture from last year when we were living around the clock in the puppy camp, kids taking turns sleeping in the family room with her, defending ourselves from her needle sharp teeth and sassy attitude.
 She was such a welcome balm, having said good bye to Sam in August. I knew I'd miss Sam, but the extent of it was terrible.  And Elin isn't Sam.  Sam was friendly and bold. Elin is cautiously friendly.  Sam would get up in my space and then inevitably shake her coat out, splattering slobber EVERYWHERE.  I hated it!  It made me holler, so aggravated.

Elin slobbers a fraction of what we were used to and never gets in my space and splatters slobber around.

 Sam--

Sam did this--and one time it went right in my mouth.  Ugh.  It tasted like exactly nothing, but I was still extremely disgusted.
A year later, we are finished with the teeth and the nipping. She still sleeps belly up.  We're also mostly done with that kennel.

For a while I was able to easily coax her in there with Hawaiian buns. (I mean, who wouldn't go after one of those?)  But this winter she happily sleeps in the kennel when she wants to with the door open, but resists being sent in there on my whims.

Okay, fine.

We've been leaving her out at night and when we're gone on errands and she causes no trouble.

 This is from Thursday, I think, a cozy nap on the couch  beside the belly-up dog.
 And this sugar plum nestled in her little nest.
 I took this photo of the mayhem after they'd gone home.

Whatever.

It's hurting nothing.

 And that's the end. 

Lots of love, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment