Monday, March 5, 2018

happy twelve, t.c.

 Our oldest grandchild turned twelve today.

Buddy, that's YOU!
 (t.c. and his Aunt Julia)

Here we go, the two of us enjoying a fine nap.

 First day of school picture from a long time ago:




And now:

You are truly one of my favorite people. When Grandpa and I became grandparents, I knew I'd love you. I expected that.

What I did not expect was how happy you and the rest of the grandkids make me.

I see all your faces at the door, and there's a swell of pleasure right in the chest, a feeling of happiness that's hard to explain, just dumb-grin happy.

Your face was the first one.

We were talking with our friends this week about being grandparents, as they are also new grandparents.  We talked about the time you were here overnight for some reason and appeared next to our bed at 5 am, and in your booming, overly loud little kid voice hollered, "GRAM-PAW.  MY BLANKET IS LOST. WE HAVE TO WAKE EVERYONE UP AND FIND MY BLANKET!"

No, no, no, no. We are not doing that.  We'll look quietly.  Grandpa went with and it was on the floor next to the bed, all good.

Or the time you wanted to talk to Tim and Julia while they were still in bed at 7 am. I said, "They're sleeping. You cannot bother them."

You boomed, "OH, I'm not going to BOTHER them. I just want to TALK to them!"

Again, no.

Oh my goodness, my grandson, my friend, 

Thank you for coming to this family and being ours. The whole family is better with you in it, and that's the truth.

Happy Birthday!

Love, Grandma and Grandpa and Everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment