Friday, December 18, 2009

an ending, a beginning


Kirsten's graduation ceremony is on Sunday! She says it's a little surreal, hard to believe it's real.

She's apologizing for how boring Sunday's ceremony will be. I love graduations. They're not boring to me at all. I listen to all the blah, blah speeches, and read all the names in the program, all the beautiful names mothers gave newborns 20 years ago. I know I can be a sap, but these are touching to me. My own is Kirsten Elisabeth, a perfectly Scandinavian name that suits her. There's something in graduations-- so alive with potential, so much happiness in the air. I'm glad she's walking.

Yeah, those graduations. She and I were talking about this. I didn't walk in my high school graduation. I graduated early, in January, and at the end of the day, emptied my locker, picked up John from his sweet sitter, went home and cooked supper. It felt very anti-climactic.

But by May I was quite pg again and we’d bought a house. It seemed like ancient history to put on a gown and walk.

Nursing school graduation too, I didn't care about. I was having a baby in a few weeks and far more interested in that.

College though--I did participate in the ceremony finally. Of course I was pregnant then too... Tim was doing flips and the whole time, but it was a nice night.

It was right after my 40th birthday, so there was that milestone too, and I wore a beautiful black velvet dress and high heels. It was a great night, wonderful, wonderful.

Then I went home and sat in the sun, toasted my belly brown and grew the most beautiful baby in the world who came spinning out like a starfish into our bathtub. I have nothing but wonderful memories of that whole summer.

I've always admired you Kirsten, and hope your graduation means as much to you as it does to me, and that you'll look back on this winter as an amazing point in your life. Love, Mom

Throwing coins in the Trevi fountain in Rome

1 comment: