Friday, December 11, 2009

the fun continues... all night long


Okay, last night we went to bed, same as usual, set the alarm for 6 am. I crawled over him and hit the snooze button a couple times, and then thought, “I HAVE to get up! Ugh, I’m sooo tiiired.”

I wandered to the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror. Gawd, I look like Einstein, except not the moustache. But the bags under the eyes, the wild hair… yah. I remembered my clothes were in the dryer, grabbed my watch and headed out to the kitchen where the dryer is.

As I buckled my watch I noticed it said 3:15. “Oh sheeze. Something’s wrong with my watch! Aww, I just had a battery put in it, that’s not right.” But in the kitchen it was 3:15 also. I fetched my clothes and headed back through the dining room. The cuckoo clock said 3:15. Hmmm.

In our bedroom it was 6:15. I checked my cell phone, which is controlled by external forces. 3:15. We had to re-set the clock, but I didn’t even care. I was so glad I could go back to bed for three more hours. I happily threw myself against his very warm, space-heater of a back and fell right to sleep.

And then at 4:15 there was someone next to the bed. Someone kind of small and narrow, with dark hair hanging down in the shadows and BIG dark eyes. It was Lydia. She kind of scared me.

I said, “What’s going on?”

She said, “I had a very bad dream.”

“So you want to get in here?”

“Yeah.”

Sigh. And there I was sandwiched between a nine year old and her dad and shortly it was way too warm. And there was no room for my arms, so I fell asleep with them over my head, but then woke up because my hands were numb, and thought, “Oh this suuuucks.” I did squiggle around enough to get my arms some circulation again. Unh. I’m really tired today. Numb and dumb tired, can’t follow conversations clearly. It was 15 degrees out, should have felt warmer than yesterday, but I was really cold all day and my bed’s been calling me.

Julia cutting cookies

That looks a tiny bit suspicious.

I had to do some holiday volunteer work with my office this afternoon, and my sister baby sat the kids. This is the email I sent her last night: “… and the kids when I told them they were going to your house to get babysat, you'd have thought they'd won a free trip to Hawaii. We were rolling out Christmas cookies, and they were jumping and cheering, flour all over their shirts. You're quite the celebrity. (Not in a Tiger Woods way. You know what I mean.) As soon as I get home and they are dressed, we'll be on the way. Thank you for doing this. Love, Val” She did not disappoint, never has. The kids had a riot at her house, and she’s generous and good natured about all their squirrely weirdness.


The main rule is absolutely no licking anything. I still caught Jule licking the top of a shaker.


After supper we frosted the sugar cookies, and tomorrow is the Christmas party with the cousins and my family out of town. Should be fun. Time for a bath. Time for bed. Love, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment