Friday, January 22, 2010

Yay for dumb stories


The wisdom teeth went well. He's feeling fine, eating ice cream, texting away.

Here's a new dumb story for a new dumb day:

Today I was cooking some chicken breasts, boiling them on the stove. After a while, the water boiled away and I didn't notice. The smoke detector went off, but I didn't know what it was, thought one of the kids was looking for the cordless phone, had pressed the button to get that thing beeping..

But no. After a couple more minutes, we realized there was a bit of smoke! Quite a bit! We flipped on the kitchen fan, shut off the stove, got some doors open, fanned the smoke detector to quiet it down.

Life went on. The chicken breast had a black spot, but it was othewise fine. I cut that off, and then put the pan to soak.

Later on, the kids told Maria and Dad the story in the most dramatic possible way--the smoke, the smell, how they could hardly see me in the haze (huge exaggeration.) Tim said, "Yah. Kari had to make me stop, drop, and roll."

She did? Really? Stop, drop, and roll? What for? (At this point, Big Jay was laughing so hard he couldn't eat his soup.)

"Cause there was fire. She said that's what you have to do when there's a fire. She was rolling around too."

Kari had a real foolish look on her face about then.

I said, "That's if your clothes are on fire, which I certainly hope they never are, not because a chicken breast is scorching on the stove."

"Ohhhh," she said, raising up her chin and nodding, playing like she hadn't known. Yah. Cheap thrills, invent an emergency, a reason to hype out. (Sometimes I do think boredom is part of the beauty and design of homeschool though.) love, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment