Friday, January 29, 2010

strange conversations


Joe and Julia, back when she was lil bitty

Tonight Heidi and Joe came for supper, bringing pizza and chocolate chip cooky mix. Jay was gone driving a van full of kids to a winter retreat, so it was really thoughtful of them to come keep me company, to care about my trashed back. (Much improved, actually.)

Anyway, Julia loves Joe. All the kids do, but she's at that age where she crawls on him like a monkey, chipper chatter the whole time. It's fun to have a brother in law. He asked her if she'd taken a nap today? She said no. "If I took a nap, then I couldn't fall asleep until twenty in the night!"

She was standing on his feet, holding his hands, swinging back and forth, jumping up against his chest and back, all around. Joe asked, "What time exactly is twenty in the night?"

"Oh, it's really late. Very late."

I mentioned the time back when Tim was her age and one morning told me he'd "slept forty pounds." Joe agreed. Twenty in the night is a lot like sleeping forty pounds.

Then Tim came in the kitchen for pizza and posed this question to me: "If you were being carried away by seagulls and you had a jet pack, what would you do?"

???? What would I do? Gosh. Do I really have to devote brain cells to considering my alternatives in that very remote eventuality?


with Timmy too

Apparently this thing about the seagulls is something they saw on the Electric Company, a public television educational program? Well, good to know. At least they're not watching Family Guy. I got a rule about that show. Nobody under 17, okay? That's badness. I'm embarrassed.

Later we watched a program I've never seen before called Shark Tank. It was entertaining, but Julia wanted to know where the sharks were. "I can't see them! You said there were sharks on this show!" Then we laughed about how she and Tim watched that Vin Diesel movie The Pacifier and were all upset because they never saw the pacifier. Vin Diesel IS the pacifier, get it? No, they didn't get it, and where was the pacifier??

It was a lovely Friday, spent with Heidi and her guy. I'm glad it's now. love, Val

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet little doll of a girl up on Joe's shoulder. Look at her curls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday that I check in and see that sweet picture with that nice man with that adorable little girl on his shoulders, I smile and feel happy. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. Yeah, she was a little button back then, maybe 2 1/s? She'd had her hair in little twirled buns on the top of her head and then later took out the binders and that mad mop was the result, funny picture. love, V

    ReplyDelete