Thursday, January 14, 2010

quiet, quiet winter

We had a sweet, sweet day yesterday with mr. b.g. Yeah, this guy:


Tuesday night Julia hollered when she heard he was coming, "Noooooo!!!!! He hogs my moooothhherrr!" Good grief, Julia. You have to pull it together.

She was as sweet as candy to him all day long--she always is. However, when he took a nap, she asked me to put her down for a nap too--snuggle her in her covers like I did to get the baby to sleep. Hmm. It's no problem snuggling her, but she wasn't tired. In a couple minutes she said she was done resting. Just testing, I think. (snickering) I hope I passed.

Dad's working out of town overnight so last night we skipped supper and had popcorn and little weenies and watched Madagascar. I don't know why. It's not like we couldn't do this when he's home. He wouldn't care. He likes popcorn. (Well, maybe not as an actual MEAL.) But it was fun to change it up a little on a boring winter evening.

And that's January. It's so quiet here, so introverted around this house, so dark and cold we see the lights in the neighbors' window and the expanse of snow between our houses looks like an ocean. I know they're in there. I see their lights go on and off, their tv flickering at the predictable times.

This morning it's warmer though, feels a little like March, the fog frozen on all the tree branches and pastel pink sunrise, quiet street, Sesame Street on the TV. The news is breaking my heart. We're praying for the people of Haiti. love, Val

3 comments:

  1. Oh Val. Sigh.

    Lately I've been playing "Mommy Elephant/Baby Elephant" with Ry. I snuggle her up like a baby and croon, "Oh my baby Elephant, I am a mommy elephant and this is MY BABY!" over and over. I started in on impulse because I realized she is not a baby anymore. But she loves this game. Loves it. :o)

    And the news... (((((((hugs))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'll bet she loves that. I can see her grinning.

    Yeah, fog does freeze. It's gorgeous, illuminates every twig on the trees. Winter's pretty, no doubt. It's just too cold, lol.

    The news gets ever more grim. love, v

    ReplyDelete