Friday, December 24, 2010

oh, in the middle of the night

All dressed up:








I only took a couple pictures at church because it feels impolite, for some unknown reason. We were there early because the guys were ushers, so I sneaked a couple without flash.




this is a friend's son lighting candles. (he's wearing his bell ringer gloves.)

The service was gorgeous--beautiful music, formal, elegant, and yet somehow also funny and happy and kind. The pastor said something about the Christmas story is where Jesus is still adorable and manageable, before he became confusing and difficult. Yeah, I get that, and the hilarious dinner prayer scene from Talladega Nights ran through my mind: "Dear 8 pound, 7 ounce Baby Jesus..."

Then it was time for the party at my parents.



m.c. and lydia in their new pajamas


I do so love my new camera. It's definitely slower on the click, but less errors on the flash.

We had fun tonight.


Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS. You can say it. Yell it if you want.








this is a terrible picture with heidi's head cut off, but an excellent view of the baby
like father, like son-in-law


a fine, handy hat for surviving a wisconsin winter, i think




my mom talking to t.c. about santa claus


him telling her what he knows



on the way home, we paused to take a picture of this spectacularly festive home. man, i would not want to clean that up or store all that crap.





And this is the stocking for our old dog, Spooner, which Heidi carefully labeled when she was small. This is going nowhere. I can hardly handle it on a number of levels. Sam cheerfully uses this stocking now. She's good natured like that, even though Julia said, "What does this say? There's no P in Sam." Yes, true. we're aware.

It was a peaceful, beautiful Christmas, better than I ever even hoped. Kirsten's sleeping over tonight. She says it's cold in her room at her house, so we went to JC Penney online and ordered her an electric blanket, just like Lydia has, and now I'm told we're going to put in a movie. Sounds perfect. love, Val

1 comment:

  1. I love that picture of Dannell and her boys. Your new camera is fantastic... which is awesome because my parents got me the same one, to replace the one I left at the park this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete