Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ice and wind and baby blankets

It's so cold here! It said 13 degrees on the dash, but when we went to Target tonight it felt like -10.

Oh my gosh, that cold wind cut right through a wool coat and hood. Dear LOR-ED, how long until spring?

We came out and I was pushing the cart, scurrying in the painful wind as fast as I could over the glacier of the parking lot, wheels of the cart pounding. In the dark I realized this wasn't my car!

Heidi was behind me doubled over laughing her head off, over near our car. She tried to yell to me, but between the wind and the wheels of the cart pounding over the ice, I couldn't hear her. Laugh it up, Chuckles. Glad to amuse. Actually, I was so cold I didn't care.

When we came home, once the house was quiet I sewed blankets for the baby shower in a couple weeks. I'm getting used to grabbing little moments of time, getting better at it.


But the blankets, I've been sewing for years for many dozens of beautiful babies. They're not fancy, but babies love them. Probably it's the satin binding.




I've sewed them for my own babies, for t.c., for l.c. for b.g., for friends children and grand babies, nieces and cousins, everybody. Sometimes they come back and ask for more blankies, which I'm happy to do. But now I'm sewing them for THIS little peanut.


The contractors working on their house say they'll be back in it next week. Heidi threw back her head and laughed--just howled with laughter. Then she said, "I'm good with miracles. Bring it."

We want her home. In her own house. But regardless what the contractors and insurance adjusters say or do, that little darling is ours for the kissing.

Love you, Peanut. love, Grandma.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I just love that orange, green and yellow blanket! I think their little peanut will love snuggling with it. And Heidi looks so beautiful and motherly and perfect in that picture of her. Can't wait to meet whomever is in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh me too me too...can you make me a gigantic version of the orange yellow and green? Those are my fav!!! This is going to be one very lucky grandbaby!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter looks so beautiful! Lucky Val with all the grandbabies current and future to snuggle. :0)

    I also completely adore the orange blanket. I love the other ones too, but the orange one is so unique and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that peanut already and can't wait to meet baby Raymond. I can picture it cuddled up in your sweet little baby blankets, and us in awe of our new precious baby. I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete