Thursday, June 27, 2013

dad's birthday party

Tonight was the party for Dad's birthday.

They were without electricity for many days after the storms came through, but the power came back on Tuesday night, so everything was back to normal.  (Yeah, there was a feast.)

This little girl fell asleep on the way to the party.  Too much swimming in the hot sun wore her out.

 These guys were there:

And my Sweetie was there, and greeted us all with little daisies he'd picked from the huge garden the chiropractor's wife keeps.  (He said it was okay.)   Mine is still in my shirt pocket now.

 These guys were awfully happy to see each other.

 Cousins in the den, watching TV:

 Time for gifts:
 More cousins:




 Here you go--Little Jay, Big Jay, and John, all in a row.

 Pam and Paul:
 Maria and d.c.
 Elegant, even in a cast. 
 Jimmy:

Oh, this is a good story.

Our kitchen dryer is not working and this is a huge pain in the rear.  I have to call tomorrow and get a repair scheduled.

So we are ALL trying to do laundry, operating off ONE lone dryer.

I got so mad about my bumped load of laundry this morning that I called him to the basement to chew him out.   Half dry towels shoved back in the hamper they came from???

Do you have a death wish?

MY load is sitting to the side soaking wet?  BUMPED?
He looked at little old livid me, enraged in the basement, and said, "Mom, that's not my laundry.  It's Little Jay's."

Whee.   I did calm down.  The world didn't end.  Jay was sorry, and moving on from that problem now.


And here is the end of the night, the hugs good-bye.

Dad, tonight when you said you can't believe you are as old as you are, since that number sounds so big and you just feel like your regular self?

I understand completely.

This picture was taken over 25 years ago.  (I remember the heat, and the storms, and that rickety little outhouse, and also the funny parts--the fireworks show?  Heidi in pink overalls?  That mouse stealing George's dog food, bit by bit?)  You?  Still you, not always this overheated.

 Yep.
 Indeed.

 Yeah, still you.

All these years of you generously loving us?   All these years of you upholding and caring, sharing a joke, and lending assistance whenever there is a need?   For the care you provide to a legion of grandchildren and great-grandchildren too?

We are ridiculously lucky people.

 I loved you then, and I love you now.

We all do.



 Happy Birthday, Dad.    love, Val and everybody


No comments:

Post a Comment