Tuesday, June 11, 2013

johann's birthday

 I dug through the buffet with the photo albums and pulled out a random album, looking for pictures of John.  This album is dated 2005.  Jay pointed out to me that Little Jay is steering the boat  in this photo, and this was taken several years before he got his glasses.  Whee.

That was a good year, but I think there haven't really been any bad ones.


Today Lydia and I were talking about John in the car and got to laughing about the time m.c. told her John weighed 502 pounds.    Lydia said that wasn't correct--it was impossible.   m.c. said, "Yeah, well I saw it on the scale after he got off."

(While the scale resets it flips through random numbers, I guess.)

We laughed so hard and told John.  He was like, "Wow, thanks a lot."

Oh my goodness, we are easily amused.

And Sunday morning I started cracking up and told Lydia I had a funny idea to tease John.  "Oh, this will get him."

I told her and she rolled her eyes, "Lame. Do you really think he'll find it funny?"

"I don't know, but I do!"

So I sent out a group text to all the kids saying, "John is turning 35 on Tuesday.  Let's all go to Houston and surprise him."

(He's on a business trip today--not in Houston.)

Anyway, a little bit later came a text:  "35?  Try 34.  And I'm going to New York."

Oh my goodness.  It's so fun to have kids and harass them.

But you know what, Sweetheart?   It's been fun to have you as a kid for so many reasons.   I admire your big heart--the generosity and patience and good will you extend to all of us every single day.

There is nothing you wouldn't do for us, and to have someone like that in your corner?  We are just plain lucky.


And nobody works harder either.   Even when you were a kid you were a working speed machine.   Remember the day back when you were five and we were going grocery shopping and you wanted me to hurry up?    I was sorting some coupons and feeling very pregnant with Heidi and it was hot out.   The street was all dug up so our car was parked over at the park and we'd have to walk around the block to get to it.

I said, "We're not in a rush."

You waved your arms over your head and hollered, "But I like to rush!"


 When you were in college one Mother's Day you came by when I was going to plant all the flower pots.  You took in the scene and said, "Let me help you."

In a few minutes all the flower pots were in a row and you'd fetched a wheelbarrow full of dirt.  The pots were filled, the flowers planted in like thirty minutes.   Normally this would take all afternoon meandering.

Efficient.

(We need a new family picture with the little guy too.)


Happy Birthday Sweet John.   Thirty four years of you?   Lucky us.

love forever, MOM and DAD and EVERYBODY

No comments:

Post a Comment