Wednesday, November 20, 2013

christmas stockings

Okay, so this goes back a ways.

The five oldest children all have lovely Christmas stockings.  I painstakingly did counted cross for each of them.   Kirsten's stocking is trimmed in handmade lace my dad's mom crocheted.  Heidi's has little pockets.  John's has a checkered back on it and I embroidered his whole name: John Kenneth.   Dan's has french knots for all the popcorn in the popcorn string.  Jay's is almost solid stitching, a Mary Engelbreit design from the mid-90s.

But along the way, I fell behind.  Maria's stocking never got past a central 4" of stitching.. I did try with a magnifier, and a couple stockings are well started, but I'm so slow and also so unmotivated.   

What's inspiring about sitting in a stiff chair with a bright light and magnifier, trying to stitch, hour by hour?

Who has this kind of time?  Or patience?  Sadly the other five stockings have never materialized.

I'm not even proud or defensive about it, just sad.

So year after year, the five youngest kids have used their old clearance stockings from Frank's Nursery.  These are cute stockings, fine. They've been filled with candy and trinkets. They suffice, but always waiting for the REAL stockings.

Well, the LL Bean and Lands' End catalogs arrived, with lovely needlepoint stockings available to be monogrammed, and I put the whole problem down in a major life moment of Getting Real, and called the 1-800 number.

But before I called,  the catalogs were presented to the kids and for them to choose.  They did.  The stockings are nothing but beautiful, even if I didn't stitch them.  (Julia's whole name is Julia Katrin, but only ten letters and spaces are allowed.)

Heidi stared at me when I told her about this, not sure what to say.  Finally she chuckled a little and said, "It's hard to give up on a twenty year fantasy."

Well, yeah.  It is. 

 There's some absurd guilt.

The kids can keep their Frank's stockings along with  their new beautiful ones their mom didn't stitch.  See James' dark stocking with Santa and the his sleigh?   This was the one I predicted he would choose, James Evan sewn across the top.

I love all of them.

Sigh.  xo  love you all so, MOM

12 comments:

  1. This is truly epic Val, I almost fell to the floor when you told me you ordered them stockings. :) And they are perfect and beautiful and Val with 10 children and 7 grandchildren and 2 jobs does not have the same amount of time nor priorities as the lady who made the first 5 stockings. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're right and I'm trying to be happy about them, but it's not the same. But it's also time to admit defeat and move on. love you, Girl, Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Val, I love you! I had no idea this has been biting on you for years. You know I wrestle with Christmas and the manufacturing of textiles. But you are a hero--a shero! Who could I be if I had half your patience and fortitude? Plus, look at those stockings. They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking at the Land's End stockings lately. Can you see a difference between theirs and LL Bean? We have 4 LL Bean stockings so I want it to blend in but I don't love their designs this year. Thank you for your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I deleted my comment because I mentioned they may be returnable if you're not happy. If they're monogrammed, I'm not sure on that. They are very similar in color, size, weight. I can't tell one company's stockings from the other, so I think you'd be safe to order, but might want to check on return policy if you're having them embroidered with names. Val

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the only places on the web that discusses the LL Bean and Land's Ends stockings! My husband found his old one from childhood, and I ordered myself one to match. The only problem is, his is from Land's End, and mine is from LL Bean! I didn't realize the mistake until after I ordered it. Now, my fingers are crossed that the new one will match his old one. Both companies look so similar! Just thought I'd share my little snafu. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of the only places on the internet where both the LL Bean and Land's End stockings are mentioned, so I thought I'd share my little story. My husband recently found his childhood stocking--a beautiful needlepoint. So I found the company that made it, and got one for myself to match. The only problem is, his was from Land's End, and I ordered mine from LL Bean! I didn't realize until after I placed my monogrammed order that the two are so very similar! Now my fingers are crossed that they will match. I wonder if they are the same? I'm sure I'll find out soon! Thanks for you article. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So what, if any are the differences? Struggling with the same thing. Need to order today if possible. But can't decide. Why do we put such pressures on ourselves? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't tell them apart, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete