Thursday, December 12, 2013

getting ready, 2013


Okay, this year as they took over, rolling and cutting cookies adeptly, advising p.j. not to stamp out cookies in the middle, to go around the edges and get the most out of the dough, I realized this:

They can do this all by themselves.

Holy crap.   Life skills.  I know adults who have no idea how to do this.

I ran the oven.


She told me she was a hard worker and a big helper, and she was too.  It's not easy when you're so tiny you have to stand on a chair.    After a while she got bored and wandered off, and then the Speed Queens took over.



We realized James is falling behind on his life.  It's just too much.  Being sick this fall has taken a toll on his stamina and he gets to not feeling well.    Well, his laundry is a problem we can take over for today.  He did seem truly grateful.

And look at this!  Cookies galore.



Ooops, that dough was rolled a little thick.

Then we forged ahead and frosted and sprinkled.




I didn't take this pictures, but it's nice someone did.


Ah, and these old characters.  My friend Jody gave them to me for Christmas many years ago. They've been on many adventures, and I'm glad for Christmas decorations that aren't breakable.

Tonight the wrapping began.    We're going to get this thing done.

And then I will sit in church on Christmas Eve and soak it all in.

I'm not an overly religious person.   I mean, I was raised in a church as a Lutheran and we still are, but that's not a world-denying religion.  It's all about struggle and grace and respect and love.  Grace mostly.

But I watched the Curious George Christmas show and wondered about a Christmas without the Christmas story.   Christmas Monkey?

Oh my goodness, and I love that damned monkey, but there really is not a sufficient stand in for Jesus.  So what was the dilemma, finding the perfect gift?

There are very few perfect gifts.  There are generous hearts full of love, celebrating.  But we also probably tend to fall short of perfection in our efforts.   But that's okay.  

Be kind.  Be patient. Give each other the benefit of the doubt.  Boundaries are important--they're part of it--manners and boundaries are the grease that keep relationships peaceful.

Plus we're going to have fun. There was a trip to see Santa tonight.



love always, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment