Wednesday, January 26, 2011

multi tasking tooth brushers

This morning when I picked up James from band, it was so January--the sky completely white, the snowbanks bright white. The trees all looked tan and gray, even the pines looked a funny charcoal color, rather than green. Every house had a perfect white roof, white tendrils curling from all the chimneys.

Ugh.

I was still in my pajamas in the car, feeling extraordinarily tired and also sorry for myself. I'd wanted to go to bed and stay there until tomorrow.

Today's Jay's birthday though, and in reality, I'd rather bake him a cake than sleep. (There was an internal discussion about that. The man won.)

But later while driving to the grocery store for flour and cocoa, ice cream and candles, the sky had brightened and the angle of the sun had a sudden February-ness about it.

We got the cake in the oven, and then took all the holiday candle lights out of the windows. Moving on! Gotta turn to face spring! Last year at this time I was stranded on the couch with a hurt back from falling on the front steps. Glad it's now.

Okay, a little bit ago I told the kids to brush their teeth, and then heard the little piano and the electric toothbrushes going.

When I came around the corner, there was Tim on the piano, brushing his teeth.


It made me laugh right out loud. By the time I came back with the camera, it was Jule on piano.


Gosh, they make me happy.

So does birthday cake, and so does the guy we baked it for. Happy Birthday, Buddy. love forever and always, Me

3 comments:

  1. I love that picture of you and your dh, Val. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I am such a noob...I completely forgot about Jays bday and its the same day as Jacks...duh! Tell him I'm sorry about that!
    Love R.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, R. It's hard enough keeping track of life, without OUR birthdays TOO. Not feasible.

    K, that picture was snapped by Kirsten in a two second thing: "Smile you guys!" and it turned out well, lol. miracle. love, Val

    ReplyDelete