Thursday, May 26, 2011

so much for that


Okay, b.g.'s parents want him to take a nap when he's here. It's a good idea, true.

I personally don't care whether he sleeps or not, but when he doesn't, he runs the risk of becoming a wretch, and we've seen that a few times, and wouldn't wish it on any baby or his parents.


So I try.

The first attempt involves cuddling him with his bottle. (He does a little delighted chortle about it, same sound he makes when eating a Moo Jr.) Sometimes he drinks the bottle, cuddles in and goes to sleep.

Other times he doesn't.

Today he rested in my arms for a few minutes, then told me, "All done." I urged him to rest and soon he was mad.

Sigh. I'm not much of an enforcer, so I let him go.

Dan said in this event, set up the pack and play baby bed, and put him in there, and he'll fall asleep by himself.

Okay.

So I did it, put in a quilt and a flowered bed pillow, found him and took off his shoes, got his enormous green polka dot blanky, and kissed him good night.

I sat in the living room so I could hear him if he cried, but not be a visible distraction, and opened up a book.

By page three, there he was.

!!!

He went through the dining room, gave me a little parade wave as he strolled by in his stocking feet.


He'd climbed out of there and left.

high five

I laughed until I couldn't laugh any more, and finally had to go find him, see what he was doing. Oh my gosh.

Later he pinched his finger in the toy fire truck and while Little Jay was comforting him, fell sound asleep. Little Jay smirked and offered that as a suggestion: "Maybe if you HURT him at naptime?"


Oh, yeah, now there's an idea.

Tonight was a most elaborate and wonderful musical program at Dannell's school, where John actually learned a song on the recorder, that fabulous instrument, and he and m.c. played it together on stage. t.c. sang and danced also, and l.c. squealed in delight at pictures I drew on a piece of paper to amuse him.


Running out of ideas, I drew a toothbrush and toothpaste, and he recognized it immediately, threw his head back, hand on his forehead, "Toof-bwush and toof-paste?!"

Well, I try.

Tomorrow is Friday. Time for a cheer. Or just do a little tiny parade wave as you go past. love, Val

2 comments:

  1. naps are over-rated. Love seeing all these pics. I've been stupid not to come here more often. Love R. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl. I wish for you every day. love,Val

    ReplyDelete