Thursday, June 30, 2011

too hot


It was so darn hot today. It's still hot now, and that only happens a few times a year, where it's hot at night.


But we have all our little air conditioners going, so we're good.

Today we met Julia's friend from preschool and her mom at the splash pad. It's kind of like a pool, only nobody can drown. Water shoots out and rains down, and it's a lot of fun.

When we got there at 10:30 this morning, the heat was already pushing 90, and it took the city worker dudes TWO DOGGONE HOURS to do some repair first.









The kids played in the park. There are no pictures of this because I was being a spotter for b.g. and directing him away from dangerous ladders, and keeping p.j. amused on the side.

It's a huge park, with a wide, shady lawn, and elaborate equipment, bridges and slides, and it was unfamiliar to me.


And you know how you chase after a kid and interfere constantly, and they get cross and owly? So I didn't want to do that to him, but maybe we kind of did, taking turns fetching him back when he roamed further than I liked. I sent Tim a couple times, and Julia, and sprinted after him myself too.

Then I tried to act casual, "Whatcha doin'? Would you like some crackers? Let's go back to the kids." He didn't get cranky, so we must have played it right.

p.j. rolled over today, btw.

I ran to help b.g. over a little retaining wall, and put her down on a blanket in the shade first. It was only seconds, but when I turned back, she was on her stomach! And she'd rolled effectively enough that she was to the grass and had a little bunch of it in each hand.

p.j.enjoying a nap in the shade

Her dad thought that was pretty funny. Keep laughing, Joe. It's just the beginning.

m.c. spent the night last night, and maria bought them this fine pool, which seems pretty ridiculous, but then again not so much on a day this hot.

When Dan picked b.g. up tonight, he sneaked in to where I was at the computer looking up property for some people, and said, "Mother, I hope you won't be offended."

???

Okay? What's going on?

They'd seen the picture of the car seat b.g. was riding around in and told me basically, "It's time to retire that old relic." I think we had it for James. I know we did for Lydia--there's a million miles on that old thing.

It was purchased at a thrift shop for a slim seven dollars, and yeah, I've probably got my money's worth.

But you know how you get used to your stuff and don't even notice it's from another era? Like your hair? Or your living room furniture? (Like that weird TV set with legs?) I sell real estate. I've seen.

The new car seat has plush velvet, and a little cushion for the head, extra security straps and all, even a cup holder we opted to not attach, and a bag for carrying it through an airport. (Not going to happen.) It's pretty fancy. I looked at it empty tonight while I was driving around and could only grin. I'm coming up in the world.

Oh, in less than an hour it'll be FRIDAY, and yet this was a pretty great Thursday, not gonna lie. love always, Val

2 comments:

  1. I love the hair comment. Yeah, I had to buy new stuff for the grandkids too... their parents told me in advance that everything I had was "old school". It's a wonder we got our kids raised using that primitive equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it!

    It's a miracle they survived us at all!

    Oh gosh. love, Val

    ReplyDelete