Sunday, January 29, 2012

the end of sunday



What a nice weekend  it was.

Yesterday we went to Tim's basketball game.   That was fun.

The kid has no killer instinct.  He ducks when they pass him the ball.

He stands by politely while the other team shoots baskets.

On the way home, I told him his job is to get in the way and interfere. Make it difficult for them to aim properly.

"You know what I mean?"

"Yah."

He's the tallest, biggest kid on the court, but you'd never know it.

Anyway, after that I called my old friend to meet me for supper in a suburb halfway between us, and she said yes.

Then I ran to Fantastic Sam's for a haircut and color.

Oh, Lord Have Mercy.

This lady was so slow with the foils I thought I might DIE.  I seriously considered ripping the foils off my head and running out of there, unable to take it any LONGER.

It was so bad, the ones in the back, underneath, were done curing and she still hadn't finished the top of my head.  A co-worker intervened to help, thank goodness.

Then finally, after over two hours the coloring was done, and time for the haircut. The cute slow girl wandered off eating candy from the machine and the other lady cut my hair.

WHATEVER. Just GET ME OUT OF HERE.

Two and a half damned hours.

I raced to meet my friend, made it in time, lovely evening.

Then I stopped at Target and have been keeping an eye out for cheap dining room chairs to replace the old dried up, broken down ones we have.  (I paid $40 for the whole dining room set about ten years ago. The chairs are toast in every way.)   I found four good chairs that will reasonably match!

So I brought the chairs in and asked Tim if he wanted to put them together.

He ran for his tool box, excited.   It took a while to put that first chair together with that tiny allen wrench they send along.  (Let's work with toothpicks! That'll be GREAT!)


Then after it was all together, he came out to the kitchen and said, "Look what I forgot," and dumped a whole hand full of washers into my palm.

Okay, rewind.  Big Jay cut that allen wrench off short so it would fasten into the chuck on the drill and the whole thing went much faster.

After that, we had Chair Chunkin' which is somewhat like Pumpkin Chunkin' only for this event we tossed those old dining room chairs out the back door onto the patio. Then  others tossed them over the fence to the driveway.  (None got stuck in the trees overhead, so that was good.)

Today we went to church, and that's always a good way to start the week.  Our lively pastor has moved on to her new church, and as I listened to our friend leading the service, singing alone, all the parts, speaking, serving communion, I wondered if he felt as lonely for her as I did. 


Maybe not. He's a guy, and he thinks from a very guy-like point of view, and is a very logical, sensible person.  He probably is in a completely different place from this than where I am.

However, while we ate donuts later, I didn't put him on the spot and ask him either.

What if he started crying??  (Awkward!)  Or I did?  (Awkward!)  Or Jay did?  (Okay, enough! No crying! She's not dead, so calm down. We're going to be okay.  Everything is fine. FINE.)

Then we went to John and Dannell's for pizza.  We invited ourselves over and said we'd buy pizza and please DO NOT CLEAN.

Okay, he cleaned.  There were vacuum tracks in the rugs. The bathroom was spotless.

Please Darling, don't clean for me.  I don't care about it.  I know how life is and dog hair and all that.

I had no camera along, so even though those kids were cuter than EVER, I have not one single picture of them.

They fought and argued and played video games and trains.

t.c. found Big Jay and coaxed him into some kind of snowboarding game.

I felt Dannell's baby kick.   He rolled and stuck his back out at us, big old pointy lump.  Who IS that in there?


m.c. showed us pictures from the concert she went to a couple weeks ago.  It was a very laid back good time.   Santa was not there.  Her favorite, Brad Paisley was.


Which brings us to now, the end of Sunday.

Sigh.

February is upon us and for this I am glad.

Happy Sunday.  love, Val

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Val. Just lovely. I miss you too and will continue to look for a whole pew in back filled with a fabulous family at Zion. Are there Nordstroms in the Lyndale neighborhood? Hope so. This post made me want to squeeze Tim and made me want to slap that slow hair stylist. Seriously.

    So much love, Meta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I was getting a little frantic in that chair! I wondered if I'd end up with a big old bald spot where the chemicals fried off my wispy hair entirely.

    I even had the thought: Well, I'll just buy a hat then.



    I know life evolves, things change, and we adjust. It takes time though! And it is not easy. I hope Zion soon feels like home.

    love you so, Val

    ReplyDelete