Tuesday, October 1, 2013

a frivilous day


First we got cracking right away and did errands: paid a bill, looked at used refrigerators--Pinky is rusting away and it's time to start considering options.  

But we opened a fridge and there were dead bugs in the freezer and moldy french fries in the bottom, and Lydia about died.  NOT. THAT. ONE.

No, no, no.  We have plenty of time on this.  We can keep looking. (We could buy a new one if we have to.)

We dropped off files at my office, and THEN hit Walmart.


Yeah.  That Walmart store where I went crazy one time and bought a twelve-foot tall inflatable Santa.

That place.

Nothing that crazy happened, but p.j. really, really, really wanted this THING.  

I asked the kids how much it cost? 

Fifteen dollars.

Pshht.  I can afford THAT.


It was tricky to put together, pop it one way, it popped apart another, but Tim and I could do it. Julia handled the stickers.   We locked the damned dogs outside while we tried to concentrate. p.j. was distracting enough.


Okay, here's Julia's Halloween wig for her gaudy little, invented costume, very cute.


Cute, cute, cute, mesh neon gloves, striped tights: she knows how to put it together.


Aww, feeding the baby, so nice.

Here's Tim's costume.

I really kind of hate that sword.   It's like those housekeeping little-girl baby bottles where it looks like the baby is drinking the juice, and it is actually colored water flowing between layers.

Only this is a gruesome, disgusting sword.

I winced and complained, tried to talk him out of it at first glance.

 But then I saw the look on his face, the guilty slump of his shoulders as he turned to toss it back in the bin and it came over me:  this is a toy.  He's well aware of that, as much as I am when a baby doll drinks a juice bottle.  And no he has never wanted to stab anybody, that I am sure of.

He hid behind the rack when some sisters had their ears pierced years ago, nervous about the blood.

(Buddy, there's not going to be any blood. It's okay.)

But let's not end the day with that hideous image, fictitious as it is.

How about a flower, a nice flower?

My friends chastised me back in June that I'd planted this with too little dirt.

Probably true.  I don't doubt it. I'm no gardener.


But this little sweetie was blooming today and THAT is a good thing.

Okay, officially October now.

This year is rushing past.

love always, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment