Monday, February 1, 2010

one night last spring

Hey, this Toyota accelerator problem--I gotta tell you, this happened to Kirsten.

She drove off in John's brand new Toyota with t.c. in the back, taking the freeway across town. About twenty minutes after she left home, she called on her cell phone and said she was pressing down on the brakes with both feet and, "The smoke is pouring and it's still slowly going faster!"

Okay, this a phone call nobody ever wants to get. I told her as soon as there were no cars too close to her, to slip the car into neutral, and then maneuver it as best she could to the shoulder. I didn't know what would happen...who has actually ever tried this in real life at 65 mph? But nothing untoward happened.

She was able to do it--shift to neutral, slow down on the shoulder, shut the car off and then burst into tears of relief. I could hear t.c. wailing in the background, scared. But they were safe. No injuries, not a scratch.

Jay ran out the door and drove to where they were, and then followed her the rest of the way to John's house. Even t.c. was extremely glad to see Grandpa. "Our car is broke!" He was scared to get in it the next day, insisted it was broken. We blamed a floor mat, but now wonder if there was more to it.

Hearing how some people have crashed in this situation, I feel very grateful.

John's funny though. His comment afterward was this: "Mother! I'm sorry, but if my accelerator were stuck, the first thought in my mind would not be to call YOU." Well. I don't know what he thought she should do instead? Call 911 and talk to someone else's mother? (snickering) We're just so glad nothing bad happened.

Here they are, perfect, healthy, unharmed:


Oh, and btw, here we are right now, waiting for AAA to come tow her car. It abruptly quit working tonight on an ordinary suburban road, not a freeway. Her roommates are waiting with her, will take her home afterward, and her dad will drive her to work tomorrow, and I'll pick her up. It's nothing dangerous, mostly obnoxious. ugh. I suppose we're due for a big, fat repair bill. It's been a while. love, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment