Tuesday, September 27, 2011

decorating for halloween

We made a trip to Menard's tonight to buy stain for the fence, Julia, her dad, and me, and we found this Simpson's Halloween decoration and it's fun. We ran cords around to a window to plug it in.

The little kids were so excited about putting up the Halloween decorations today. I brought up the boxes and we separated out the Thanksgiving-specific ones, and they had a good time.



Tim knew where some little fake candles were in the buffet. I didn't remember that. We haven't had real candles here in a long time--pretty much hardly ever since the top of the piano burned that time.

This is the first Halloween decoration. My mother in law gave it to me in 1980, but it's still good.

Here's a dude sitting in a basket from Heidi and Joe's wedding with gourds from my parents garden.

Oh, and these placemats! I bought them on clearance last year, so they're brand new--unmutilated. Becka gave us the Halloween dishes many years ago.


And here's a video I found on my camera, not edited for cussing. Whatever, kids. It was a dark, half-rainy, somewhat dull day. We did a worksheet packet on autumn, seemed fitting.

I baked apple muffins, even though I couldn't find my cupcake pans. (Maria found them later.) My cousin gave us the apples from his tree, and we don't know what kind they are, but they were crunchy and bright tasting, wonderful. I bought cinnamon-sugar butter last week--a new product. Well, it's an excellent product with apple muffins. b.g. ate two, and gave one to the dog.

But now it's now and the end of the night. And this was one of those dark, boring days made better by a bunch of kids excited about old Halloween decorations and the dusting of the furniture. Days like this when they take the dark and tedious and make it special, I feel lucky to have kids in my hair still.

This video, I don't know. b.g. was taking a nap and the main directive was: BE QUIET so the child can sleep.

Success.

Onward to Wednesday, and to the fine season of autumn. love, Val


2 comments:

  1. It is time for decorations. Thanks. I'll go get ours. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..it's not even October miss! looks awesome. xoxox

    ReplyDelete