Tuesday, September 20, 2011

another tuesday

We spent it doing what we do.

Last night there were two kids still up after midnight, with a movie player in the quilts playing Toy Story II, two Nintendo DS thingies, and waaaay too much shrieking and thumping and carrying on.

I was disgusted. Being all giddy and hilarious at 10:00 is one thing, but after midnight, entirely another.

So this morning, I hauled their little rears out of bed at 7:30. They tried to keep sleeping, but mean old me, I hollered in the doorway, "Get up! It's over!"

These jumping pictures are because I told them they had to do 100 jumping jacks and tire themselves out so they can sleep tonight. They jumped a bit, but nobody counted. The child, b.g. probably wasn't involved in any hilarity at midnight, but he was way into the jumping.

These two can actually kind of play a bit now. She's happy with Rescue Heroes--whatever you got, she'll chew on it.

Tim is reading! A tiny bit, slowly, but it's coming along. Today he read me this old book about dogs. Usually he just patiently reads these beginner books, way below his level for any purpose other than reading practice, and he doesn't comment on the story line.

Today though he paused at this picture and said, "That looks like a crappy party--playing checkers while listening to bad music?"

Oh, I'm laughing again now. Timothy, Timothy.

This morning after I was back from my sales meeting, Jay was trying to figure out what kind of work he could fit into the 90 minute time slot available before he had to leave for another appointment at noon.

The man seriously looked like garbage, circles under his eyes. I told him the best use of that time?

GO SLEEP. Take a nap.

He paused for a minute--that seems so wrong, you know?

Well there has to be SOME benefit to being self-employed, for crying out loud.

Plus he's got that gift where he can fall asleep within seconds and wakes up bright and happy. (I am the opposite.)

Anyway, he headed back to our unmade bed.

Shortly I wondered where b.g. had gone off to.

I found him, jumping all over Jay, happily yelling, "Grandpa! Nite-nite!" He leaned his head over upside down to look at Jay's face, and then jumped on his back. Heidi's dog was already on the bed, so this was not looking all that restful.

I said to the child, "What are you doing?"

Jay said, "Jumping on his grandpa and I think in poopy pants."

The poopy diapers are always a nice touch, you know?

Awwww.

Today he wanted to tell me something and said, "Mommy?" Then he looked over his shoulder and did a little laugh at himself, "Oh, Grandma!" When we were by the big mirror later, him on my hip, I pointed us out to him, "Look, it's b.g. and Gramma. Say cheese." He pressed his cheek against mine for our biggest cheesy grins.

Yah, here they harass the baby with the bunny ears. She'll get them later.

Think we'll ever get door trim or a wood floor in this family room? We could have carpet installed, but I'm holding out for maple to match the living room.

Sigh.

It'll be worth it. I tell myself it's fine to continue enjoying the subfloor as we are. The dogs would just scratch up a good floor right now. The living room isn't scratched though. Maybe that's just a lie I tell myself about the new floor, but probably it's true. Let them abuse the plywood.



And here's Tim using his very own drill to construct the latest little kit from my parents.

And now I must go and clean the turtle tank, rid it of all scum and dissension. Or is it dissention?

Distention?

Whatever.

To fine Tuesdays everywhere, and to the Wednesdays that follow them. love always, Val


1 comment: