Tuesday, December 27, 2011

soap, memories, and love


Maria told me a certain kind of soap, made by a company called Soap and Glory, smells like Lori.

She was ten when Lori died, so I trust her memory.

I ordered a bottle of bath gel, and it arrived today.

I washed my hands with it, and she was right.   I stood there in the hallway and inhaled my hands--and then in the dining room, and in the kitchen. 

Tonight a bath, in hot, soft water, bubbles and steam enveloping the room--funny 1940s tile and odd square bathtub.  Mmmm,  Lori. 

Maria, Maria, Maria. Thank you.  love, Mom

2 comments:

  1. Oh Val ((((((hugs)))))

    I have a cookbook that smells like my Grandmother' kitchen. It brings tears to my eyes when I open it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand! I also have a box of lace my grandma made, and all these years later, the smell is as familiar as yesterday.

    They say our sense of smell is amazingly attached to memory, and I agree. It's wonderful. love, Val

    ReplyDelete