Wednesday, November 28, 2012

a trip downtown

About four in the afternoon, I had the idea we should go downtown to the Macy's Santa display.   Jay made a horrible face like I'd suggested a root canal, but after a little while he warmed up to the idea.  When Joe came to pick up the baby I posed it to him, and he had that same bad look for a second.

Jay teased him, "It could be a father-in-law/son-in-law bonding experience."

He said, "Let me talk to Heidi."



 I called the other kids too, but it was pretty last minute and everyone else was busy.

Winter evening are so pretty in the city.


 The Christmas display at Macy's was Santa's Workshop.










 This is the reindeer stable.


 We had a few minutes at the end to talk to Santa.  p.j. was a little nervous, but did not cry or flee.  While she watched, Maria said, "That brings back memories!"  She was referring to how terrified she was of Santa.

 He did talk to Tim also, but I didn't hear if he asked for anything.

 Heading back to the car:

On the way home Julia asked me if that was the real Santa.  I said I didn't know.  He looked kind of scrawny for Santa.   But if he's getting old and skinny, that's not a polite thing to mention.   Jay said maybe he bulks up right before Christmas.   Julia said, "Yeah, I couldn't ask him if he's real or not.  That's just too rude."     Wow, maybe she is growing up.

As we drove home, the car felt like a little warm dark cocoon, cruising along a river of lights.
    love you kids, and your little dad too,   MOM






2 comments:

  1. Aw Val, all of this brings stinging tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing such loveliness. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog is so very unexciting and ordinary. You are a special person to appreciate it. love you too, Val

    ReplyDelete