Thursday, November 19, 2009

somewhere behind vegetable oil


Julia’s learning the alphabet in preschool, and a note came home that she should bring something that starts with V for show and tell. Wow, okay.

She said she wanted to bring vegetable oil. I thought that was not the best idea, potentially really messy, and I told her this. She said she’d leave the cover on, but I don’t trust her and her little nefarious friends.

I suggested she bring a picture of me. My name is Val, starts with V. Here’s a picture of me and you Julia, stuck right here in the mirror over the sofa. You could take that.

She looked at the picture, me all tan and smiling in a lawn chair on the beach, and her on my lap, one week old, fat cheeks and tiny triangle lips, white cap with pink trim, wrapped in a floral print blanket.

Her lip kind of curled and she said, “Nah… I just really want vegetable oil.”

I rolled my eyes, “Of course you do.” I googled vegetable oil and found a photo of Wesson oil, printed it out for her.

We see where I rate. Love, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment