Sunday, March 14, 2010

a special occasion


Today was the baptism. It was 60 degrees out, unlike the day they were married in May, six years ago, when it was cloudy with a stiff wind. Today was balmy, the mud atrocious, and spring is so close it's driving us CRAZY.

We haven't had any occasion to be in that church since they were married, but today was the best reason to be there again--this baby, this luscious baby.

This is a lucky little boy. Not only were his grandparents there, but also two sets of GREAT-grandparents. We passed him around, the hugging, the kissing, the laughing, the baldness and juicy little thighs...




Another grandson was seated in a modern high chair, not the chrome and red vinyl type I have in my kitchen. John referred to my well-used red high chair as a death trap. Excuse me?? (It is not.)

Anyway, I sat on the floor, fake growling and fake gnawing on the grandbaby's feet. He squealed and hollered and kicked at my face. I love that kid. When I opened my mouth, he took the wet cheerio out of his own mouth and tried to put it in mine.



There was a big, fancy cake covered in pink and blue frosting flowers. Apparently my daughter in law wanted something tailored and NOT flowered. Dan went to order the cake and according to him, "The lady only spoke in flowers." He kept telling her what he'd been instructed to order, and she peered at him and kept talking flowers.


Finally, he conceded, paid the fifty dollars, and brought home a cake with two inches of frosting and many, many, many unwanted pastel flowers. My daughter in law is a good sport. She said, "It doesn't matter. What really matters?" Oh, yeah. Pick your battles.

Tomorrow we've got a quiet morning, then a girl heading for the airport, and nothing but sunshine.



my mom in a pile of kids

Maria showed up here earlier and I teased her: "So what to do you want? An empty mayonnaise jar and $27?" She always shows up at bedtime with bizarre, urgent requests, and the mayonnaise jar and $27 is the expression for that. (Last week it was $400 and numerous signatures, but that was last week. How can they charge that much for track?)

"No, nothing. Just came to say I love you."

Okay, we can live with that. I love you too. love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment