Saturday, March 6, 2010

the magnificent party


Tonight was the most magnificent birthday party.

Julia kept relentlessly asking us if it was time to go, starting as soon as she woke up. The party wasn't until 5, so we had this conversation maybe...twenty times? (I never screamed. I did say to go away once.)


Anyway, my parents and my sister and her family were there, and also a crowd of kids in addition to mine, all their little super loud friends, a bouncy moon walk thing, basketball and floor hockey, a buffet supper, ice cream cake... it just got better and better.




When it was all finally done and the friends and relatives had gone home, t.c. asked me to come to the bathroom and help him put on his pajamas while his mama fed l.c.

I sat cross legged on the floor and waited while he went potty and then helped him get the pajamas on. It was blessedly quiet in there, just the two of us. His face was red and his hair damp, and we had to tug to get the shirt over his head. I told him it was the greatest party ever. Well, Heidi's wedding was a great party, but this was a fantastic party too.

He stopped buttoning his pajamas to look right at me. He nodded, "Yeah. This was a great party. I love this party."

When it was time to leave, we realized it was raining! It hasn't rained here in months and months. Beautiful soft rain in the dark felt like heaven. The air smelled fresh and muddy. John carried t.c. so his socks wouldn't get wet. When Jay started our car, Jason Mraz's voice came bursting out the doors, and I instantly thought of an old friend and smiled.

Well, there's nothing in the world much sweeter than a four year old boy... unless it's his one year old baby brother nursing to sleep at the end of their birthday party. Saturday nights don't ever come any finer than this one. love, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment