Monday, November 15, 2010

yeah

This weekend was not the greatest. I worked all weekend and we had no electricity, though yes, I am grateful for the generator. It could have been worse.

But it sure could have been better too.

Jay was stuck dealing with all this by himself while I was gone, and not gonna lie, it was a pain. But the stove requires no electricity, so he cooked, and no electricity is needed for dishes.

He swapped out the power cords and washed towels, and he and Kirsten took flashlights to the basement to find the kids' snow pants and boots, exhumed the box of mittens and hats.

And he cooked some more. He cooks like a mom.

Sunday he said he was going outside with the kids, feeling stir crazy in the dark house. Sure, yeah. I was immersed in some work and barely paid attention.

Later, as I took off, I called his cell phone, told him I was leaving. He said you have a good night and I love you. Yeah, yeah.

As I pulled out of the driveway though, here were these huge snowmen he’d made with the kids, funny stick arms and carrot noses, big smiles pressed in with pebbles. It was so unexpected, and so totally HIM, it caught my breath for a second and I stopped the car for a long look. Train was singing Marry Me on the radio, and I thought, “Yes, today and every day.”

Yeah, corny, but the truth often is.

So here they are, melting away, not going to last long, but I’m not going to forget them. Happy Monday. love you so, Val


i didn't notice this until this morning--the barricade for the snowball fight.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I cannot believe you didn't have power until Monday. That's insane. What a crazy storm. Sounds like an exhausting weekend for you, all that work. Hope you get to relax this week!

    ReplyDelete