Monday, July 29, 2013

alicia's birthday

It's past midnight now, so the birthday was officially yesterday even though it still feels like today.

I hope it was a great day.

When I talked to Dan about a birthday party, in all overwhelmed honesty the answer was:  "Let's do it with Tim's birthday."

I so appreciate a true story, the real truth, and I understand.   As much as I want to bake a cake and light candles and all that--we get tired!  There's softball and work and this summer is flying past, and there are many birthdays in August.


Alicia, I got to know Dannell by living with her.  We did for years.  And kind of the same with Joe.  His family lived far from here, so he'd come for long weekends and time in the summer and stay with us.  

You and I never lived together, and had zero sleepovers other than family weekends at the lake, and that's different.

I love how we finally really got to know each other:  You were planning for natural childbirth, and so I gave you some old homebirth newsletters for entertainment.   And then in a bit you shared your blog with me, which I have devoured ever since.    I loved getting to know you that way--you were so observant and really funny besides, and your affection for Dan was evident, which always makes a guy's mom happy.  And then when this blog was a few months old and I was writing about your baby, I sent the address to you.

It's a weird, technology way to get to know each other, but I'm nothing but grateful for it.

Every day for the last what? dozen years?  You've been nothing but nice to me, even though I'm your mother in law and probably irritating as hell at times.  You're kind to my little kids all the time--even when they're rowdy and foolish.  To Dad, you are nothing but sweet, and you're good to Dan and are a crazy good mother to those little blonde boys we both adore.

Happy Birthday and of course it's true: The whole family is better because of you.  Thanks for being ours.  love, Val and Jay and everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment