Sunday, July 28, 2013

reunion, 2013

Lydia got to pet cats as much as she wanted.   I took no pictures the whole day, forgot the camera was even in my purse.  These pictures are Maria's or my niece's.

My Aunt Anita and Uncle Roger hosted this picnic at their house.  It's beautiful there at their big farm in the woods.   My cousins took us on a ride on their John Deere Mule or Gator--whatever it is.  It was great for going up and down the hills, loaded up with all of us in the back.

The woods are lovely--my cousin pointed out things through the trip and at the last part she said, "This is my favorite part, the most beautiful place."   She said it had never been logged, so there was little brush and the tree canopy arched high above.   Sound was muffled, and on this overcast day it was weirdly green, felt like the bottom of an aquarium.

Sitting in a pile of my cousins, all of us crowded together, listening to their voices, I felt very lucky to have grown up with people so good-natured and kind.

This was the first time we've all been together since Grandma's funeral in December.  Though it was as fun as always to be together--tons of good food, lots of laughing--there was a big fat empty spot where Grandma and Grandpa should be.    We'll get used to this, I suppose, but it's going to take time.

It's good we have each other.

 There was an array of the last of the items from Grandma and Grandpa's house that my aunt's grandchildren arranged on long tables and the gang was told: Take anything you want because what is left will be donated.  So the kids all did, and it was wistful, but okay.


My sweet cousin had an album from my grandparents' 25th anniversary celebration back in 1966.  It's quite a treasure, photos and cards, and as she paged through it she said, "They must have not let us kids sign the guest list."

I was confused, "Honey, you weren't even born.  You didn't even have any little hands to write with."

???

A look came over her face, and we laughed our heads off--she was remembering their 50th anniversary celebration.   Wow how many years went by.

kitties in doll clothes on a kitchen chair

Her little boys are the ones who made a bet with my mother last spring when they were cleaning out the garage.    One of them asked if he could go look in the old outhouse?

My mom said he should ask his Grandma (her sister.)

He said, "Oh she'll never let me. She'll say, "There might be wild animals in there.""

My mom doubted that, "Oh she will not."

"Yes she will! I'll be you a dollar that's what she says!"

So they bet.

And when Aunt Pat came back he asked her, "Grandma, can I go look in the outhouse?"

"Oh no. There might be a skunk in there."

My mom said the kid leaped in the air, arm over his head and hollered, "Skunk!  Technically a wild animal!  Pay up!  Pay up!  You owe me a dollar!"

Oh my goodness.

Yesterday my cousin Michelle played swing ball with all the kids.   The ball is pitched to a kid on the swing and how far it gets kicked indicates how many bases and so forth.   Her husband and I watched for a few minutes, her patiently navigating all the arguing and personalities.

He said, "This is Missy's made-up game. She makes up the rules."

In a few minutes she said she was cold and asked Dan to take over pitching and said to him, "You know the rules, right?"

Dan said he thought so, and her husband howled, "They are MADE UP rules."

Oh well.

Grandpa and Grandma

It was a great day, and thanks to Roger and Anita and their family for hosting us all, and to all my cousins, uncles and aunts:  Thank you for your friendship and love.     love you all so, Val and all the rest

No comments:

Post a Comment