Sunday, August 7, 2011

a weekend

Yep, we had one.

Saturday Jay took the kids to his parents' place. They retired to their lake home many years ago.

They all spent the day tubing and water skiing, eating, playing cards.

Kirsten was the only one with a camera, so if she sends any pictures, I'll share them, for for now, nada.

We had this guy here for the afternoon and he and Tim easily kept occupied.


We had this girl here overnight and that was easy going and peaceful, and yes mowing the lawn is on the list, except I lost my garage key so we can't get the mower out.


Saturday after Jay and the kids left, I was here in the house alone before I had to deal with work.

This is a very big, very quiet house when you're the only one in it. There are many rooms, stairways, lots of nooks and crannies.


At one point in the morning before I got serious about work, I walked around putting things away: shoes, dishes, stacks of towels, pokemon cards and barbie debris.

And everything I put away stayed there. Everything I put straight stayed straight--the pillows stayed on the couch, the magazines on the coffee table.

No more dishes appeared on the end tables or cupboards, no more shoes in the doorways.

It was spooky, weird.

I brought the hose around and some detergent and scrubbed the patio with a stiff broom, and then rinsed, and rinsed, until our old patio looked like new.

It was lovely, the silence and order.

And yet, this is not a priority I hold. I abandoned all this many years ago in favor of another kind of life--one full of people.

At times I've heard comments about our big family, and though I don't normally feel defensive (my family is normal to me) at those times I do.

Who are the engineers making your buildings and systems happen?

My kids.

Who queries huge, endless data bases all day to determine what initiatives and health programs work?

My child.


Who works overtime to make sure your life insurance policy happens and your family is protected?

My girl.

Who drives your car parts from the warehouse to the mechanic working on your car?

My boy.

A mom of nine once told me, "There can't be too many nice people in the world." She's right.

I agree. The world has a use for my kids, and the raising of them has been an actual benefit to society, an effort that benefits us all.


Plus it's so darn much fun.


Happy Monday. Happy August Monday. love, Val

1 comment: