Sunday, August 11, 2013

scrolling babies

You know, I watch my kids and my grandbabies with their ipads and parents' phones and I'm so amazed.

I've heard the negative comments about how kids can't even carry on a conversation these days (not true) and how technology is wrecking their brains.

Sponge Bob could supposedly cause brain damage was one report.

Puh-leeze.

I remember when Sesame Street was bad for kids' minds, caused them to always expect instant gratification.

Sigh.  Why do we think they're such fragile little blossoms?

They're not. They're bold little sponges, soaking up the world wherever they are, all it is, all around them.

When even a toddler can scroll and delicately tap things and respond to what happens, I'm so in awe.  (I watch the fine motor control in those tiny fingers and the concentration and decisions and am amazed.)  I told Alicia I think there's something very intuitive between this technology and how our brains naturally work.

She asked if I thought it changed kids' brains.

Well, maybe it could.  

Yet this technology has only been widespread for a couple short years, so I suspect our brains were always wired this way and we just didn't know it.

It makes me wonder what  all else we don't know, what is possible, unimaginable possibilities.

And yet the other ways are good ways too.   My dad and mom attended a one-room school house in rural Wisconsin during elementary school, and my dad has commented on the number of successful entrepreneurs that came from that one little quiet school with no technology of any kind.

And my parents have had to grow with their own business as their industry has changed to lasers and computer technology and precision machining has evolved on every front.

And yet steel is still steel, and a blueprint is still a blueprint, and it still ends up as parts of other things.

Here's a girl reading a magazine with her dog on her lap.

 And a dog, tired from swimming who hones in on that bed as fiercely as she tries to catch fish at the shore.

We try to keep her off this bed.  Nobody wants to sleep in a bed a wet newf has sogged out.

(We did chase her off eventually and the quilt, sheets, mattress pad, all of it were again washed and dried.)

New and old, miracles of every kind all around.  xo.   love you all, Mom, aka Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment